LASIK stands for Laser-Assisted In-Situ Keratomileusis. It is a form of laser vision correction which requires the creation of a corneal flap. With LASIK, a flap is created and temporarily lifted off, the corrective laser is then applied to reshape the cornea and the flap is then gently placed back into position.
What is LASIK?
What is the difference between conventional LASIK and bladeless LASIK?
In conventional LASIK, the corneal flap is created using a sharp blade (microkeratome). With bladeless LASIK (a.k.a Femto-LASIK or all-laser LASIK), the corneal flap is created using a femto-second laser hence bypassing the need for any surgical blades.
What are the benefits of LASIK?
Benefits of LASIK include:
- Freedom from glasses and contact lenses
- Quick recovery with minimal downtime (1-2 days)
- Minimal pain and discomfort during the recovery period
- Minimal disruption to work schedule
- Short period of post-LASIK eye drops needed (typically 1 week)
Who is a good candidate for LASIK?
A thorough assessment should be done before proceeding with any laser vision correction. In general, a suitable candidate for LASIK surgery includes patients who:
- More than 18 years old
- Healthy corneas
- Stable vision and refractive errors
- Keen to be free of glasses or contact lenses
- Keen to avoid the discomfort related to post PRK surgery recovery
- Keen for a laser vision correction procedure with minimal downtime
Why Dr Val Phua at Eagle Eye Centre?
- Dr Val Phua is a Singapore Medical Council (SMC) accredited eye specialist, a consultant ophthalmologist and cataract and refractive surgery specialist with Eagle Eye Centre
- He has received numerous recommendations and referrals from satisfied patients
- He provides personalised care throughout the treatment journey
- He is supported by more than 90 staff at Eagle Eye Centre to ensure a seamless experience to achieve your vision goals