Cataracts are a clouding of the naturally transparent lens of the eye. It occurs due to a build up of proteins in the natural lens. This reduces the amount of light going into the eye and causes decreased vision.
What is a cataract?
How would i know if i have cataracts?
Symptoms of cataracts include:
- Blurring of vision
- Glare and halos around bright lights
- Decreased night vision
- Decreased contrast and colour perception
- Worsening myopia (frequent changes in glasses power)
What is the difference between standard cataract surgery (phacoemulsification) and bladeless cataract surgery (femto-second laser assisted cataract surgery - FLACS)?
In standard cataract surgery (phacoemulsification), sharp surgical blades are used to create small wounds (<3mm) to allow surgical access for the ultrasound probe used to break up and remove the cataract. With bladeless cataract surgery (femto-second laser assisted cataract surgery – FLACS), a femto-second laser is used in place of the blades to not only create the corneal wounds, it is also to create an opening in the lens capsule and break up the cataract. The subsequent removal of the cataract still relies on the ultrasound probe.
What are the benefits of cataract surgery?
Benefits of cataract surgery include:
- Restoring vision
- Quick recovery with minimal downtime
- Minimal pain and discomfort during the recovery period
- Minimal disruption to work schedule
- Ability to correct any refractive error at the same sitting
- Ability to address presbyopia (lao hua yen) at the same sitting
Why Dr Val Phua at Eagle Eye Centre?
- Dr Val Phua is a Singapore Medical Council (SMC) accredited eye specialist, a consultant ophthalmologist and cataract and refractive surgery specialist with Eagle Eye Centre
- He has received numerous recommendations and referrals from satisfied patients
- He provides personalised care throughout the treatment journey
- He is supported by more than 90 staff at Eagle Eye Centre to ensure a seamless experience to achieve your vision goals
Price list – Cataract Surgery
From $4000 – $8000
*Medisave claims per eye is about $2450
*While most insurance policies provide coverage for cataract surgery, the amount claimable will depend on the coverage of the policy.
*Exact pricing can be advised during the consultation